Former player Reggie Kohn back with men’s team

The USF men’s basketball program filled its opening for director of basketball operations with its all-time assist leader on Tuesday.

Reggie Kohn, who started for the Bulls from 1999-2003, was hired to replace Scott Thompson.

“I’m really excited to get a chance to come back to South Florida and get into college coaching,” Kohn said. “That’s something that’s been one of my goals and something I’ve been waiting for the right time to do, and I felt this was the right situation and right place for me.”

After graduating in 2003, Kohn went on to be the head coach at Lake Howell High School, which he also used to play for.

Kohn isn’t sure yet what his exact role will be at USF but said he is willing to do whatever he can to help improve the program.

“I think I’ll have a hand in little things here and there,” Kohn said. “Specifically, I’ll have to wait until I jump into everything and see what I’ll be doing the most.”

Although Kohn didn’t play under coach Robert McCullum, he has gotten to know him since coaching at the high school level.

“Over the past three years, I’ve been to their team camps every year,” Kohn said. “I’ve been to a few games and got to know him that way.

“(I know him) well enough to know that I really like how he runs and handles the program and really respect him as a coach and as a man.”

Despite a last-place finish in its first season in the Big East and nearly going winless in conference play, Kohn feels that USF is close to becoming a winning program.

“I think they’re right there,” Kohn said. “It was huge for them stepping into the Big East. I think they’ve got the players coming in; they’ve got the players there.

“With all the new facilities and everything going in at South Florida, it’s without question, they’re ready to take off, and I’m just happy to be a part of that and to step in and do whatever I can to help out.”

Kohn has wanted to coach at the collegiate level but said it didn’t have to be at his alma mater.

“It’s been a goal to get into college coaching, not necessarily my No. 1 goal to be back at South Florida, but I’m really excited about the opportunity, and I’m glad that this came up at the time it did,” Kohn said. “(It wasn’t necessarily), ‘Hey, I had to go to South Florida,’ but there’s no better place for me in my life right now.”