Parking rates may increase

Frustrations with USF parking may escalate next fall, pending a 20 percent increase for all on-campus parking permits.

“The money is going directly to fund new parking garages,” Media Relations Director Lara Wade said.

According to Interim Director for Parking and Transportation Services Manuel Lopez, the increase will take care of the $1.43 million expected in interest on parking garage IV.

The garage, which will be located near Magnolia Residence Halls, should create 1,500 new spaces at a cost of $12.6 million.

According to a release from Parking and Transportation Services, the new spaces will help prepare for the construction of a new residence hall.

According to Lopez, the garage should be open by fall 2007 before construction begins for the new facilities.

Construction for parking garage III on the corner of Laurel and Holly is slated for completion this summer. Lopez said the new $16.17 million garage will have an estimated 2,000 new spaces.Members of the Board of Trustees will meet on March 2 to vote on the proposal to increase parking permits.

“We’re proposing (the increase) for five years,” Lopez said. “But we will have to go to the board each year to approve it.”

In the meantime, Lopez said he’s encouraging feedback from several influential groups including the Administrative Professionals Council, University Services Support Personnel Advisory Council, the Faculty Senate and Student Government.