Men’s soccer losing a senior and a friend

Dedicated. That’s how senior Brian Gil is described by his teammates.Gil is the only player leaving the USF soccer team after the 2005 season, but one adds up to quite a lot considering the quality of play and sportsmanship displayed by the midfielder from Ormond Beach.

“For being one of the most outstanding players I’ve ever seen, he’s very humble and he doesn’t care if he’s not in the spotlight,” forward Simon Schoendorf said. “It’s just been great being able to play with him because he just shows you that hard work and dedication pays off in the end. I feel very blessed for being able to play with Brian Gil.”

Gil was a force on both ends of the field for the Bulls. Despite an injury early in the season, he was able to record a remarkable seven assists and seven points on the season. Gil’s career highlights include leading the team in assists twice and being a runner-up three times in the individual points category.

Coach George Kiefer knows exactly what the team will be lacking when next season rolls around.

“It’s going to be tough to see Brian Gil go,” Kiefer said. “I played Brian in every game he was healthy for in my four years here, and that says a lot about the kid. And he was a key to our team’s attack and defense the past two seasons.”

Gil is not only an outstandingindividual on the field, but also great to hang out with, according to his teammates.

“We’re close friends – we go out and have a lot of fun together,” Schoendorf said. “He reflects the same picture off the field as on the field. He would do anything for his friends. He’s humble, yet he’s an outstanding person.”

With the thrill of this year’s Big East success, which included capturing first place in the Red Division, there are a lot of things Gil will miss when he empties out his locker for good.

“I’ll miss the atmosphere and the team itself,” Gil said. “And traveling: Good times, you know, always on the plane rides and the hotels, just messing around.”

Gil and Kiefer have a mutual respect for one another because both arrived at USF in 2002.

“Me and Brian have grown together – both him as a player and me as a coach,” Kiefer said. “I would do anything for him, as far as becoming a pro, or a job.”

There’s a good possibility that Gil might indeed go pro.

“Coach said that there was an offer from a scout in Belgium, and I’m definitely going to look into that,” Gil said.

There’s no doubt that Gil will be sorely missed by his teammates at USF. And there’s no doubt any team or job he heads to in the future will benefit from his relentless dedication.

“If you ask me who would be my first pick on a team, I would tell you straight up: Brian Gil,” forward Rodrigo Hidalgo said.