USF recognizes its best

A thank you is one the most important things someone can receive for a job well done. The administration of USF took time on Wednesday to do just that for its diverse faculty and researchers.

“This is why we’re here as a university: to honor all the faculty and the good advising and staff that has been with us and has made such a difference in our lives,” USF President Judy Genshaft said in an honorary address.

Faculty, administrators, staff and their families packed the atrium in the new USF Research Park for the 2005 Faculty Honors and Awards Ceremony. More than 150 faculty members, advisers and researchers received awards, honors or recognition during the 90-minute program.

One of the most prestigious awards given to University faculty is the Distinguished University Professor award. Three of these awards are given out annually.

“The Distinguished University Professor award is given to those members of the faculty who have had and continue to have outstanding records of achievement in the discipline,” Provost Renu Khator said. “This title is given only after a very thorough evaluation of the faculty members’ record in professional service, teaching, research, scholarships and creative activity.”

One of the professors who received the award was Gaetan Brulotte, who teaches in the world language education department.

“His fiction and drama have been translated into a number of languages and is increasingly the subject of scholarly and critical attention,” Khator said. “His recent play, Le Client (The Violins), has evoked comparisons to the greatest drama writers of the 20th century.”

Professor of jazz studies Charles Owen was the second to receive the award. Owen has been teaching jazz for more than 20 years and has been the director of jazz studies at USF for 16 years.

“Professor Owen is an extraordinary talent with an international reputation, a gifted teacher, a remarkably creative force and a valued colleague who has made all of us at USF, and those within his field, the beneficiaries of his many contributions,” Khator said.

The third recipient of the award was professor of mathematics Christos Tsokos. He is published for his work in statistics and is active in research.

“Professor Christos Tsokos is the paradigm of the Distinguished University Professor,” Khator said. “He has been awarded substantial grants from major federal agencies, NSF (National Science Foundation), NIH (National Institutes of Health) and NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration). An outstanding mentor to both students and faculty, he has directed over 25 doctoral students and has helped many assistant professors reach the rank of full professor.”

According to Genshaft, all faculty honored during the ceremony have made excellent contributions to their fields and deserve all the recognition they’ve received.

“I’m just thrilled to acknowledge all of you (faculty) and want to thank you for the good work that you do,” Genshaft said.

Numerous awards were given for outstanding faculty research achievement, distinguished service, outstanding undergraduate teaching and outstanding undergraduate advising. Many faculty promotions, recently tenured or retired professors and professors emeritus were also honored during the program.