Trying to avoid Wilma

WOMEN’S SOCCER

St. John’s (6-8-3, 2-5-2) at USF (6-6-3, 1-5-3)

When: Today, 2 p.m.

Where: USF Soccer Stadium

The story: The USF women’s soccer team will be facing Big East foe St. John’s a little earlier than expected today. The game, which was originally slated tonight at 7, was moved to 2 p.m. due to the threat of Hurricane Wilma. It’s the latest turn of events for a women’s soccer team that has been through a tumultuous season, full of injuries and growing pains.

The Red Storm is tied for fifth in the Big East’s Red Division. The Bulls will have to shut down St. John’s midfielder Holly Ryder, who leads her team in nearly every offensive category including goals (5), assists (3), points (13), shots (50) and shots on goal (16).

The Bulls are coming off an inspired 3-2 overtime victory against Cincinnati. In that game, midfielder Megan Morton scored her first and second goals of the season to give the Bulls the boost they needed to end their seven-game winless streak.

The Bulls, who are 12th in the Big East in shots per game (3.87) and 10th in goals per game (1.33), will need more performances like Morton’s if they want to get another Big East win.

Keep an eye on: Hurricane Wilma. As of press time, Wilma was a Category 4 storm predicted to make landfall south of Tampa. If the storm speeds up or slows down it could affect the travel plans and game times of the Bulls’ final two regular season games. Already it has affected the Bulls’ regular season finale against Syracuse, which was originally scheduled for Sunday. The game has been tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, and a time for the game has not been set as of press time.

– Tony Marquis