The hurricane guide to college football

With Hurricane Wilma, many Tampa residents will spend their weekend mulling over the impending storm threat. The hurricane has upset many Bulls’ fans with the cancellation of the beloved Homecoming game. Everyone is anxious, but not me.

Why am I not worried?

Because I have one thing others do not: The College Football Hurricane Survival Guide.

Get out your flashlights: There are bound to be some power outages when two electric offenses – No. 2 Texas and No. 8 Texas Tech – meet in a Big 12 South showdown of unbeaten teams. The Longhorns (53.67) and the Red Raiders (45.67) are first and fourth in the nation in scoring, respectively.

In a recent game against Kansas State, Red Raiders quarterback Cody Hodges passed for 643 yards. I’m not sure if I have had that much offensive production on NCAA 2006 – set at junior varsity level – against Bethune-Cookman. Working against the West Texas Stat-Padders is coach Mike Leach’s career 1-9 record against the Big 12 elite, Texas and Oklahoma.

Here are some things you can count on in the game: The over, Mack Brown lobbying for first-place votes after the game, and the Texas defense making the difference. In a game that features two outstanding offenses, it will be Texas’ defense – not Vince Young -that will make enough big plays for Texas to prevail.Texas 45, Texas Tech 31.

Stock up on water: It’s going to be a barnburner as No. 17 Tennessee faces No. 5 Alabama. Did I just type No. 5 Alabama? Whatever they are putting in the water in Tuscaloosa, give me some, and make it a double. After the first quarter, I wouldn’t be surprised to see quarterback Rick Clausen, standing in the cool shadow cast on the sidelines by coach Phil Fulmer, in favor of Erik Ainge. The Tide may have been pushed to the brink by Ole Miss last week, but they are a different team in the friendly confines of Bryant-Denny Stadium. The ghost of Bear Bryant has awaken. Alabama a lot, Tennessee a little.

Don’t forget the non-perishable goods: No. 22 Auburn and No. 7 LSU meet to preserve each team’s respective SEC West title hopes. For Auburn, any team would have trouble playing with the leftovers that are replacing Ronnie Brown, Jason Campbell and Cadillac Williams, so I can excuse them for dropping their season opener to Georgia Tech. For LSU, every game versus a ranked opponent has gone down to the wire – this one will be no exception. If Auburn’s defense can keep LSU speedster QB JaMarcus Russell under wraps, then I smell upset. Auburn 20, LSU 17.

Make the best with what you have: Some of this week’s matchups may be less than stellar, but that does not diminish their importance. Rutgers vs. Connecticut is an interesting matchup of two teams that could either be conference contenders or pretenders. I have little idea about this one, but since UConn recently lost to Cincinnati, and I know the Bearcats stink, I’ll go with the Scarlet Knights. Rutgers 31, UConn 24.

Always keep a backup around: If for some reason your attention to college football burns out, there is always the World Series. This series has been touted as pitching vs. pitching, and Saturday’s probables are Clemens and Contreras. Clemens or Contreras? That’s an easy one. Houston 4, Chi-Sox 1.

So batten down the hatches, board up your windows and try to forget about the giant swirling storm headed our way.