Volleyball struggles over weekend

The USF volleyball team (1-13, 0-6 Big East) remained winless in the Big East, dropping a 3-0 match to Rutgers on Saturday and 3-0 match to Villanova on Sunday.

The Villanova Wildcats (15-4, 5-1 Big East) won their third straight match. The Bulls’ only victory this season came over UCF on Sept. 16.

In Game 1 against Villanova, the Wildcats and USF tied on every point until a kill by senior outside hitter Celine Nguyen gave Villanova a 10-9 lead. The Wildcats stayed in front of the Bulls, and a six-point run started by a kill from junior middle blocker Adrian Semrau extended ‘Nova’s advantage to 18-11.

A block by freshman outside hitter Alona Cherkez made it 27-20 for VU, a Cherkez kill on a roll hit pushed the score to 28-22, and a kill by sophomore outside hitter Kelly Ludwig ended the game.

In Game 2, USF jumped to a quick 5-1 lead, but Villanova worked back into the match and took a 7-6 lead after a block by Semrau and senior outside hitter Dana Kabashima. Three straight errors by the Bulls stretched VU’s lead to 10-6.

A tipped kill by sophomore middle blocker Kristina Fabris ended the Wildcats’ rally.

A kill by sophomore middle blocker Kacy Sellers ended the Bulls’ hope for tying the score and started a 10-3 rally by the Wildcats. A block by freshman middle hitter Ashley McDowell and a back-row tip by Fabris momentarily slowed Villanova’s momentum, but the Wildcats held on to win the second set.

USF got a quick 6-2 lead in Game 3 on a kill by junior right-side hitter Johari Williams.

Villanova once again climbed back into the set, and yet another Bull error combined with a Sellers kill gave the Wildcats a 13-12 advantage.

The Bulls did tie the game three times, at 14, 15 and 23 points, but Villanova took back the lead on a block by Ludwig and Sellers and held off the Bulls for the win.

Fabris led all players with 16 kills and also recorded nine digs along with two aces. Williams also scored in double figures with 11 kills, nine digs and four blocks.