Men’s soccer

MEN’S SOCCER

USF (6-3, 5-0 Big East) at Syracuse (4-5-2, 0-5-1 Big East)

When: Sunday, noon

Where: Lampe Athletics Complex

The story: Still undefeated in the Big East, the Bulls look to continue their five-game winning streak against Syracuse. The Orange are in dead last in the Big East Red Division and are still searching for an elusive first conference win.

USF will be led by Rodrigo Hidalgo (two goals, eight assists) and Simon Schoendorf (two goals, one assist) and have outscored their opponents – Georgetown, Seton Hall, West Virginia, Villanova and Pittsburgh – 12-5, not to mention two of those teams were ranked at the time of the Bulls’ wins.

Syracuse has had its ups and down this season, however they are primarily downs. The Orange’s leading scorer is freshman Pete Rowley, who has five goals for 10 points, and the team only has nine goals compared to USF’s 21. One notable fact for Syracuse is that the team has not committed an offsides foul all season.

USF had a considerable unbeaten streak last season, going nine games without a loss until the 1-0 loss to Cincinnati on Oct. 16, but the Bulls rank high in the conference leaders board: While goalkeeper Dane Brenner is seventh in saves with 32, Sammy Castellanos is first in the Big East with three game-winning goals, and Hidalgo is second with eight assists and 10th with 25 shots.

Keep an eye on: Freshman Jordan Seabrook. The new forward, stepping in for the injured Hunter West, leads the team in points with 18 – the team high in 2004 – on seven goals and four assists. Seabrook is also first in the Big East in goals, second in points, seventh in assists and fourth with 34 shots. With his quick speed, watch for his attempts to weave through a defense that has allowed only nine goals all season.

– Mike Camunas