Women’s soccer struggles in first match

Hurricane Katrina delayed the start of the women’s soccer season in Miami on Friday. The Bulls were supposed to face Florida International, but the hurricane forced the postponement of the game and the Bulls met Florida Atlantic on Sunday.

In their first game of the 2005 season, the Bulls lost a close one against Florida Atlantic, 1-0.

Ten minutes into the game, the Owls’ Susanna Lehtinen scored the game’s only goal on a header off a corner kick by Ashley Mannarino.

Despite the early goal, the Bulls managed to stay in the game thanks to solid work between the posts by goalkeeper Casey Garrett.

“(She) made very nice saves in the middle of the game that kept us in it,” coach Logan Fleck said. “2-0 and you have a different game.”

The sophomore goalkeeper, Garrett, made four saves to keep the Bulls in the game.

The Bulls defense held the Owls to only five shots on goal, but it was the Bulls offense that was having trouble getting into rhythm.

“We really were trying to make sure that our midfielders and forwards were connecting on more passes,” Fleck said.

Unable to move the ball, the Bulls managed only two shots for the entire game.

“We need to generate more shots,” Fleck said. “We want to make sure that we are flying into the box a lot more.”

Fleck says the team has got a lot to work on, but he remains optimistic about the rest of the Bulls’ season.

“There were just opening game type things that we have to tighten up with a little practice and training this week,” Fleck said.