Letters to the Editor

Businesses hijack USF’s bulletin boards

I’d like to suggest a change in policy regarding the school’s bulletin boards. I’ve been involved in helping to advertise sponsored presentations and lectures several times on campus. Nearly every time that I’ve placed a flyer regarding the presentation on public bulletin boards, especially the ones in the Library, Cooper Hall and the Phyllis P. Marshall Center, within hours they’ve been stripped down or covered by people putting up commercial advertisements and flyers for parties.

One time, only an hour after I had put my advertisements up, I saw a person tear down one of the flyers just to plaster the bulletin board with multiple copies of flyers for a commercially sponsored party.

There is no reason for multiple flyers for something like a party. I have a big problem with all of the local bars and clubs advertising their wares on USF bulletin boards, considering the problems with alcoholism and alcohol abuse among students — and they have no right to tear down or cover up flyers for academic activities. That was the case when I actually saw it happen, but was unable to catch the person responsible.

This is becoming an aggravating issue for people who are interested in academic and scholarly activities. Oftentimes we don’t hear about something interesting until after it happened, and usually, that’s because of the activities of commercial dealers.

There either needs to be a standard for flyers on these bulletin boards or separate boards for academic activities.

Robert D. Bowers is a juniormajoring in anthropology.

Mass killings of baby seals must stop

I am extremely concerned by the brutal killings of baby seals in Canada, and I was hoping you could help me spread the word around.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot in the media about this, and I realize that a lot of people are unaware of what is going on right now in Canada.

Protectseals.org reported: “At dawn last Tuesday, the largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet began off Canada’s Atlantic coast. By the end of this year’s hunt, more than 300,000 baby seals will have been brutally killed — many, incredibly, as young as 12 days old. The Humane Society of the United States is on the front lines in Canada, reporting and videotaping events as they unfold and fighting to halt this atrocity. Stand with us today and stop the seal hunt forever.”

Anyone concerned can sign the group’s petition to be sent to the Canadian government, or simply read the Website’s information and tell their friends and relatives.

Olya Grove is a senior majoring in computer science.