News: In Brief

Student Affairs VP candidates visit campus

Forty-two million dollars rests in the hands of the future Vice President of Student Affairs. The future VP will have decision power regarding several facets of the USF campus, including the Heath Center, the Recreation Center and the Phyllis P. Marshall Center. The race has been narrowed to four candidates. Students will have the opportunity to field questions to these candidates in a series of meet and greets beginning Tuesday and lasting until March 7. The following is a schedule of the times and dates for the meet-and-greet session:

Frank Lamas, from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday in Marshall Center Room 271.

Zenobia Hikes, from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. Feb. 28, in Marshall Center Room 296.

Jennifer Capeheart, from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. March 2, in Campus View East (fourth floor of the Marshall Center).

Charles Brown, from 2:30 to 3:15 pm. March 7, in Campus View East (fourth floor of the Marshall Center).

Civil Rights lecture focuses on arrest of Al-Arian

Two years ago, former USF professor Sami Al-Arian was arrested in an early morning raid for having ties with terrorist organizations.

Tonight in CHM 100, organizations from around the Tampa Bay area will take part in a discussion about the Patriot Act and civil liberties.

Guest speakers for the event include Al-Arian’s lawyer Linda Moreno, former president of the National Lawyer’s Guild Peter Erlinder and attorney Stephen Bernstein. Bernstein is representing Sameeh Hammoudeh, who was also involved with Al-Arian.

The event will take place at 7 p.m. The Organization of Arab Students in Solidarity, the Tampa Bay Coalition for Justice and Peace, La Lucha, and Friends for Human Rights are sponsoring the event.