Road woes continue for women; two losses over the weekend

In what is becoming an all-too-familiar theme, the USF women’s basketball team was dominated on the boards and lost two more on the road, bringing its away losing streak to a season-high six games.

The Bulls (14-8, 4-4 C-USA) played their worst game of the year Friday night in Marquette. The Golden Eagles (13-6, 4-2 C-USA) dominated USF in the paint and outscored the Bulls 48-6 inside. Sophomore center Nalini Miller missed her seventh straight game, with a strained hamstring.

The loss to Marquette was the Bulls’ worst loss since Feb. 14, 2003, when they fell to Tulane 87-55. The 41 points scored by USF were a season low and now leave the Bulls 0-11 all time versus Marquette.

Senior Anedra Gilmore led the Bulls with 16 points and sophomore Jessica Dickson chipped in with 12. Marquette’s Christina Quaye led all scorers, with 20.

Despite dressing only eight players on Sunday, the Bulls hung tight with No. 17 DePaul for most of the game.

USF fell behind early and trailed by nine at the half. The team outplayed DePaul in the second half, but couldn’t overcome the halftime deficit and lost 74-66.

DePaul (17-3, 6-1 C-USA) killed the Bulls on the boards 48-26, and the Blue Demons’ Khara Smith, in particular, was the inside threat, with 24 points and 17 rebounds. Jenni Dant added 23 points.

Dickson had 21 points and sophomore Rachael Sheats added 17 while playing all 40 minutes. Senior Alana Tanksley came off the bench and scored 12 points. USF played the game without Gilmore, but USF coach Jose Fernandez was unable to be reached to comment on her absence.

The Bulls will next play on Saturday afternoon, when they host East Carolina in a must-win game for the Bulls, if they want to stay in the running for the NCAA tournament.