Bulls 20 shots back after opening round

After one round of play, the USF men’s golf team is in 14th place at the Gary Koch Intercollegiate tournament held at the Old Memorial Golf Club in Tampa. The second and third rounds will be completed today.

The Bulls are 20 shots behind leader UCF, which shot a team total of 293. Leading the Bulls is Greg O’Mahoney, who shot a 75 in his USF debut. Tyler Hitchcock shot 78 and Jason Elliott shot 79. Teammates Brad Quiri and Ryan Shears both shot 81.

UCF’s Stefan Wistorf leads all golfers after carding a four-under-par 68.

Maroldt loses in semis

USF men’s tennis player Andreas Maroldt was eliminated in the semifinals of the Georgia Tech Invitational held Friday and Saturday in Atlanta.

The senior was eliminated on the second day of competition by Georgia Tech’s Zachary Rath 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (3).

On Friday, Maroldt defeated his opponent from Furman University 6-2, 6-0 and in the next round, beat Joerg Barthel of Nebraska 6-3, 6-2.

In the quarterfinals, Maroldt defeated Stephen Rozek of Virginia 6-4, 6-2 before falling to Rath.

Also competing for the Bulls were sophomore Matias Sigal and Dylon Brozyna. Sigal advanced to the semifinals in his division but retired in the second set.

Runners struggle in Raleigh

The women’s and men’s cross country teams finished 14th and 19th, respectively, this weekend in the Great American Cross Country Festival in Raleigh, NC.

The Bulls finished 344 points behind champion Duke in the 20-team event.

Christa Benton was the Bulls’ top finisher at 32nd place, finishing the 6K event in 18:10.35. Jessica Hellender finished 53rd.

Rounding out the women’s team were Maressa Pinzini (115), Sara Hall (141), Maggie Potter (142) and Emily Roff (147).

Ryan Thomas paced USF’s men’s team, finishing 118th with a time of 27:22.31 in the 8K event. Teammate Derek Lincoln finished 122nd. Michigan won the 19-team event.

Brandon Dahlem (130), Andrew Charles (136) and Nick Ferrer (142) rounded out the men’s team.

Compiled by John Calkins