Sun Dome preps for Kerry appearance

Security will be tight, but the event will be free and open to the public, said campaign organizers for Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, who will be visiting USF’s Sun Dome at noon on Friday.

Parking services expects an increase in traffic that may cause minor delays on Maple, Alumni and Bull Run. Parking near and around the Sun Dome is expected to be limited on Friday and Parking Services urges students to arrive early or use the Free Bull Runner bus service.

“We encourage people who don’t need to be over here to avoid the area around the Sun Dome. Traffic will be heavy,” said Clark Brooks, the marketing promotion coordinator of the Sun Dome.

Kerry’s visit to USF is part of a two-day campaign swing called A Rally for a Stronger America that will take him to Kissimmee and Orlando on Friday and Saturday.

The event will include congressman Jim Davis and Vanessa Kerry as guest speakers and a live performance from the Chris McCarty Band.

Kerry’s secret service detail will be stationed around the Sun Dome and university police will provide extra security. General public attending the event will be required to pass through metal detectors stationed at entry levels three and four of the Sun Dome.

No bags or signs are allowed in the building.

Campaign organizers said they expect protestors, but there will be no protest zones.

Doors open at 10:30.