Football players’ alleged loot valued at $3,615

Three USF freshmen football players accused of theft in the university residence halls could face felony larceny charges.

Linebackers C.J. Hunnicutt and Brouce Mompremier and defensive end Josh Julmiste are under investigation by the State Attorney’s Office, according to Lt. Mike Klingebiel of the University Police. The person whose items were stolen was another football player, a source said, but the identity of the player could not be confirmed Tuesday night.

According to a police report, UP was called to Holly Apartment building C at 6:53 p.m. on Aug. 30 to investigate “unlawful entry and (the) theft of a Play Station 2, television, VCR, computer, digital video discs, videos and miscellaneous items” valued at $3,615. In Florida, grand larceny, which is a felony, is a theft of more than $300.

The report said the items were stolen sometime between 10:30 on the night of Aug. 12 and 5:30 on the afternoon of Aug. 30. Some of the property has been recovered, the report said. It also said that charges were filed with the State Attorney’s Office and the students were referred to Student Affairs.

Mark Ober, state attorney for the 13th judicial circuit, which includes Tampa, could not be reached Tuesday, as his offices are closed due to Hurricane Ivan.

USF coach Jim Leavitt said the players are not active members of the team at this time.

“They have violated team rules. Things have been done that they messed up on,” Leavitt said. “We’re trying to decide right now whether they’ll even be with us or not. Right now they are not with us.”

Julmiste, the brother of starting quarterback Pat Julmiste, moved from tight end to defensive end during fall practices. Hunnicutt, who was praised by Leavitt during fall practice, and Mompremier were likely to redshirt this season.