Bulls of summer

Jeff Cunningham: Class of ’97

Arguably the most successful pro athlete ever to have donned the green & gold, Cunningham is the star striker for the Columbus Crew and one of the best offensive players in Major League Soccer.

The former Conference USA Player of the Year sits at third on the Bulls’ all-time-points list, the result of four years of offensive fireworks at USF.

In his five years as a professional “footballer,” Cunningham is second in points (128) and goals (48) in the Crew’s record book, averaging almost one-and-a-half goals per game over his career.

Cunningham has been on the U.S. National Team roster for four consecutive years while leading his league team to the 2002 MLS Cup.

Cunningham has played eight games this year, amassing four points already, including a game-winning goal that sunk the San Jose Earthquakes on Monday night.

Ross Gload: Class of ’97

It took this bastion of Bull baseball seven years to get his break, but now Gload is starting to shine on the major-league level.

The all-time leader in RBI (241) and homers (54) for the Bulls was drafted by the Marlins in ’97 after a senior campaign in which he led the Bulls to the team’s third consecutive NCAA tournament appearance while dominating four different offensive categories.

After bouncing around in the National League for a few years, Gload caught on with the White Sox by lighting up opposing pitchers all spring.

Gload has become a valuable piece of the Chi Sox lineup, logging time at all three outfield positions, first base and third base so far this season.

In 34 games for the Sox this season, Gload has two home runs and 13 RBI in 64 at-bats. Over Memorial Day weekend Gload caught fire, going 4-for-10 with three RBI.

Clif Dell: Class of ’98

“Clif with one f,” as his former Bull teammates called him, has made a career out of his affinity for Tampa.

Originally a receiver for FSU, Dell transferred to USF for his junior and senior seasons and set a precedent of success for Bull wide receivers to come.

In his two seasons with the Bulls, Dell racked up 1,039 yards, setting a senior-season record of 23.3 yards per catch that still stands today.

Dell has made his imprint in the Arena Football League, where he stars on both sides of the ball. During the first four years of his career, Dell starred for the Orlando Predators, setting career marks in a variety of categories that helped him land a free-agent contract with his hometown team, the Tampa Bay Storm.

Last season, Dell won his second league championship and his first with the Storm. This season, Dell held his own within Tampa Bay’s loaded receiver core, catching 34 passes for 469 yards and 10 touchdowns. Dell leads his Storm into the quarterfinals of the AFL playoffs this Saturday.

Scott McCready: Class of ’00

While the NFL players were at home barbecuing with the family, McCready was making a name for himself in European football … NFL Europe, that is.

Since leading the Bulls with 37 receptions — resulting in 517 yards and six touchdowns — McCready has been a staple on New England Patriot practice squads.

Although he nabbed a Super Bowl ring in 2001, McCready was allocated three consecutive seasons to the NFL Europe with lukewarm results.

This season, however, he made his mark. McCready has been lighting opposing defensive backfields aflame.

The former Bull leads the league with 58 catches for 466 yards, a feat that marked him as the front-runner for NFL Europe MVP honors and landed him a possible shot at making it back to the Patriots before the summer’s end.