Ellis involved in altercation

University of South Florida softball player Leigh Ann Ellis was involved in an altercation Sunday at the USF Softball Complex following the Bulls’ game against Conference USA foe UAB.

Sources said Ellis, a senior pitcher for the Bulls, got into a confrontation with a member of the Blazers softball team while the two teams were shaking hands following USF’s 8-0 victory, which capped a three-game sweep. Ellis pitched a one-hitter and struck out nine in the game to earn her 32nd win of the season.

According to a USF Police Department Activity Report, Officer Mike Hildebrand investigated a report of physical contact on the USF softball field at 2:58 p.m. Sunday. The report stated that unspecified charges will be filed with the State Attorney’s Office, while the Ellis was referred to Student Affairs. No arrests were reported following the incident.

The University Police department said UP spokesman Mike Klingebiel was unavailable for comment and that a complete police report could not be obtained until 8 this morning.

The Oracle could not confirm who the aggressor was in the incident. However, as of Monday night, Ellis had not been arrested.

USF senior associate athletic director Barbara Sparks-McGlinchy could not be reached for comment.

The UAB athletic department also could not be reached for comment.

Ellis, the C-USA Preseason Pitcher of the Year, is 32-4 with a 0.80 ERA this season. Ellis has struck out 209 batters in 209.2 innings pitched in 41 appearances also this season.

An announcement from the USF athletic department is expected today. The Oracle could not confirm Monday if Ellis will face suspension for her involvement in the incident.