Escaping TV Land

Name: Matthew Perry

Claim to fame: The sarcastic Chandler Bing from Friends.

Resume: Perry has worked with some of Hollywood’s leading ladies, such as Salma Hayek, Elizabeth Hurley and fellow TV alumni Neve Campbell. But, despite the pleasant company, Perry’s film career has fizzled, producing duds (Fools Rush In), mildly funny romantic comedies (Three to Tango) and one completely unwatchable flick (Serving Sara). A few words of wisdom: Stick to primetime. Maybe a few more West Wing appearances or even a recurring guest spot on Matt LeBlanc’s Friends spin-off, Joey, would help a bit.

Latest projects: He rejoins Bruce Willis and Amanda Peet in The Whole Ten Yards, a sequel to their 2000 hit comedy.

Pablo Saldana

Name: Hillary Duff

Claim to Fame: She’s played TV’s Lizzie McGuire since 2001 and got her big break on-screen in Agent Cody Banks (also starring TV’s teen royalty Frankie Muniz).

Resume: As the Lizzie McGuire incarnate — both on the small and silver screen — Duff has made a fortune that now branches out into the music world with Metamorphosis, her debut album.

Latest projects: The recent Cheaper by the Dozen (released on DVD on Tuesday) was a smash in theaters and an advancement in Duff’s career. Up next is A Cinderella Story, a modernization of the classic fairly tale, prepped for prepubescent girls dreaming of a prince charming in the form of horny 14-year-olds.

Olga Robak

Name: Elisha Cuthbert

Claim to Fame: It takes more than just parts as extras to get onto the cover of Maxim, it takes one of the lead roles on the hit series 24. And a nice rack appeal.

Resume: She’s had small roles in several movies, including Old School and Love Actually, but nothing major, that is if you don’t count starring in Nickelodeon’s Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Latest projects: The Girl Next Door, in which she plays a porn star, looks to be a disposable comedy with lots of cleavage, nudity and suggestive language. What a great opportunity.

Olga Robak

Name: Jennifer Love Hewitt

Claim to Fame: Her first big role was in Sister Act 2, but it wasn’t until Party of Five, that the starlet got her big break.

Resume: Her impressive list of films include I Know What You Did Last Summer, it’s cleverly titled sequel I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, Heartbreakers and The Tuxedo. She’s also made the crossover to music. With three albums to her name, the elevator music won’t be stopping anytime soon.

Latest projects: Garfield: The Movie — Garfield, the laziest cat in the world, jumps, dances and runs. Not even JLH’s presence can save this movie.

Olga Robak

Name: Jennifer Garner

Claim to Fame: Yes, that was her in Dude, Where’s My Car? but the Oscar invitations didn’t start coming until Alias made its way from dull to dull with big ratings.

Resume: After landing a role in Daredevil, Garner grabbed the attention of Hollywood writers who designed Daredevil’s spin-off movie, Elektra, just for her. Garner’s also done a recruitment video for the CIA. She does play a spy, you know.

Latest projects: In an attempted twist on Big’s plot, the brilliant minds in some Hollywood think tank came up with 13 Going on 30, Garner’s first leading role.

Olga Robak

Name: Christina Applegate

Claim to Fame: She first came into the spotlight as the dim-witted Kelly Bundy on the dysfunctional family sitcom, Married … With Children.

Resume: In 1991, Applegate left the small screen for her motion picture debut in Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead. The film was ignored by audiences and, a few supporting roles later, Applegate returned to the sitcom format with Jesse. Even with those setbacks, Applegate seemed poised to score a hit film starring alongside Cameron Diaz (The Sweetest Thing) and Gwyneth Paltrow (View From the Top). To the surprise of no one but her, both flicks ultimately tanked.

Latest Projects: Will movie patrons turn out for Anchorman starring funnyman of the moment, Will Ferrell and a still unproven Applegate? For her career’s sake, hopefully they will.

Pablo Saldana

Name: Sarah Michelle Gellar

Claim to fame: She was television’s hottest supernatural hunter for seven years in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Resume: Gellar gained some exposure in All My Children before landing the biggest gig of her short career: Buffy, the kicker of undead ass. While her small screen characters made Gellar a household name, poor choices in film roles — Simply Irresistible and Harvard Man — led to failures at the box office. Gellar didn’t escape her TV image until she stepped into the devilish role of Kathryn in Cruel Intentions.

Latest Projects: Gellar scored again with Scooby Doo 2: Monster’s Unleashed, which recently opened at number one at the box office. While on TV she kills demons, but on the silver screen Gellar has been slayed by a disgruntled fisherman, a ghost-faced murderer and now she’s lining up to become mincemeat yet again in The Grudge.

Pablo Saldana

Name: John Stamos

Claim to fame: In Full House, Stamos played a cool uncle with a love for everything Elvis. His likeable TV character made him at instant celebrity.

Resume: With numerous small supporting roles, Stamos never made the full transition from TV uncle to movie star stud. He made one wise career decision by marrying Rebecca Romijn. Stamos has Romijn pulling in the big bucks, though, while he focuses on long distance phone commercials.

Latest Projects: Stamos is hoping to bring home the bread in the upcoming romantic comedy, Knots.

Pablo Saldana