Déjà vu weekend for Bulls

In a replay of last weekend, the USF baseball team went on the road, dropped the first two games and scrambled to win the third game at the News-Journal Baseball Classic at Melching Field in Deland.

After the Bulls lost consecutive games Friday and Saturday to Oklahoma State, 8-4, and Virginia Tech, 4-3, respectively, they pulled out a win against tournament host Stetson, 6-4, on Sunday to close out the weekend.

USF coach Eddie Cardieri said his team cannot continue to win only one of three, but he liked that his team played tough and got the win Sunday.

“We showed a lot of toughness, especially for a team that has been through some adversity,” Cardieri said. “We had a tough loss (Saturday). We really haven’t played well, we’ve been in a little bit of a rut, but we were extremely tough today. Our offense did a lot better job.”

Mike Macaluso tripled and doubled in the win against Stetson, going 2-for-4 on the day. Also going 2-for-4 were Myron Leslie (RBI), Matt McHargue (run scored, double) and Jeremy Bellotti (RBI, run).

Outfielder Ty Taborelli saw his hitting streak come to an end Sunday. The freshman had a hit in his first eight games before going 0-for-4 against the Hatters.

Joey Livingston earned his third save of the season Sunday when he came in and got a hitter to pop out and end the game.

Livingston saw action in two games this weekend for the first time since he blew a save last week, in which he allowed six runs in the bottom of the ninth against Bethune-Cookman.

“He got the save tonight and that will absolutely help his confidence,” Cardieri said.

Cardieri added that overall his pitching staff didn’t play badly considering Daniel Albritton was out with the flu.

Nick Manganaro (2-0) got the win Sunday. The freshman gave up three runs on nine hits in six innings.

“For the most part the starters did a good job. We were a little bit thin but whoever went out there did a good job for us,” Cardieri said.

Cardieri said that his team needs to start coming out of the weekend with a better record because winning one of three is not going to cut it during the conference schedule.

“The idea is to win no less then two out of three,” Cardieri said. “That’s definitely got to be our mindset. One thing is for sure is we’ve just got to get our offense clicking. Offensively were not running on all cylinders but (Sunday) was much better. We could have just laid down today but we didn’t. We were very tough. I was proud of them.”