Fraustro wins at USF tourney

After a disappointing showing last weekend at the Rio Pinar Intercollegiate, senior golfer Oscar Fraustro altered his perspective to place No. 1 at USF’s Dick Wittcoff Invitational.

“It was not a change in golfing, it was a change in attitude,” Fraustro said. “Everything just went awesome that day.”

Fraustro refers to his first round of the invitational, where he scored a tournament-low 66. The second day of play, Fraustro scored a 74 and ended the day tied for the lead with Manuel Relancio of Virginia Commonwealth University, seven strokes ahead of Columbus State’s Christian Ries.

Ries became a mentionable player Sunday, the last day of the tournament, after he charged up the leader board, carding a 68 early in the day. Fraustro was tied with Ries until he sunk a birdie put on hole 17 to take a one-stroke lead. A par on hole 18 kept Fraustro in the lead and gave him the title.

Fraustro, who experienced success all weekend, watched as his teammates struggled with USF’s difficult home course. Three of USF’s other four players shot at least one round in the 80’s; only senior Jeremy Sims stayed below 80 throughout the tournament, going 74, 75 and 76. The Bulls had to settle for fifth place as a team with a score of 896.

“We knew this golf course; it’s a tough golf course,” Fraustro said.

“It was just a rough three days for the four other guys.”

When asked why his teammates struggled, Fraustro could only say that The Claw has a psychological affect on players.

“The Claw can really get in your mind,” Fraustro said.

“This course can get into you and it’s tough to get it out.”

Jacksonville state finished first as a team overall with a three-round total of 875.