USF St. Pete police department receives grant

Illegal activity will be turned into a Crime Prevention Program Seminar at USF St. Petersburg.

The Forfeit Award Program, which obtains funds from confiscated valuables in felony arrests, gave the USF St. Petersburg Police Department a $500 grant to help educate the public about vehicle and bicycle theft prevention and personal safety.

Officer John Spicuglia, crime prevention officer at the St. Pete Police Department, said his force will distribute free whistles and bike locks during the seminar, and give advice on how to prevent crime.

“We are really looking forward to the event and we are going to invite the St. Pete Department to bring their auto theft prevention devices with them, like the vehicle clubs, so that may be available as well,” Spicuglia said.

The Seminar will be held in March at the St. Pete campus. The exact time, date and location will be announced at a later date, Spicuglia said.

“(The seminar) will be (held) on (the St. Pete) campus, but it is open to the public, not just students and faculty,” he said.

He added that vehicle theft is not a serious problem on the St. Pete campus at this time.

“I think we have had one auto theft this year,” he said. “But we want to prevent it from becoming a serious problem.”