Letters to the Editor

A world without arta very bleak prospect

As the taste of graduation begins to make my taste buds explode, the taste of frustration makes my tongue pucker.

I’ve been told that due to budget-cuts, it’s becoming more and more difficult to attain the classes I need. However, as I watch people fight over parking spaces, the campus’ skyline stretch out with new buildings and the football team try to gain national acclaim, it becomes increasingly difficult for me to believe that “budget-cuts” are to blame for the loss of funding in programs such as dance, dance education, studio art, theatre, English, architecture, humanities, criminology and history, to name a few.

As a creative writing major who was working toward an art minor until the program was cut due to lack of funding, I almost had a heart attack about a month ago when the Alumni association called my house asking for a donation.

While the arts always seem to take the first hit whenever Washington proclaims that the nation has procured too much debt, I try to remind as many people as I can that many of the aforementioned departments are training the future reporters, experiencers, analysts, and activists of this world.

Last week, I heard a member of the Florida Legislature argue for the reinstatement of U.S. History and Government under the new early graduation plan that high school students now have the option of choosing. But what about those of us in the “higher-learning” institutions of this world who interpret history through our movements, our pencils and brushstrokes, our words and as the next generation to teach auditoriums filled with hundreds of students?

Milca Rivera is a junior majoring in creative writing.

Aerosmith and KISS have played together
Re: “Aerosmith, KISS — What a combination” Nov. 20

Although I think Pablo Saldana’s intentions were good, he clearly does not know what he is writing about.

First of all, Aerosmith and KISS have shared the stage together before; in 1974. They have not toured together before, but they have certainly “shared the stage” on more than one occasion.

Secondly, despite what Mr. Saldana wrote, it was guitarist Brad Whitford who left Aerosmith (along with Joe Perry) for a brief time in the early- 80s. Mr. Saldana seems to think drummer Joey Kramer left the band, but this is not the case.

I realize that Mr. Saldana was trying to recognize the magnitude of this event, but his lack of correct information has put a black eye on his article.

As a true Aerosmith fan, I was very disappointed that the newspaper of my university could not even give these bands the respect they deserve by allowing an uninformed writer to continue with this article.

Alex Olkhovsky is a graduate student in the College of Education.