For the record

Every week, Entertainment Editor Nick Margiasso will put one of our fine USF staffers on the musical hot seat for a Q & A. It may be informative, it could be disturbing but it definitely will be interesting.

Oracle: It’s our round … at the bar and at the jukebox; what’ll you have?

Dr. Lee: At the bar: my favorite song is “History Repeating” by the Propellerheads with Shirley Bassey. At the jukebox: anything by Prince. (Editor’s Note: this time, no drinks)

Oracle: What bands most influenced your youth?

Dr. Lee: I grew up listening mostly to opera. So the “band” that most influenced me would have to be the New York Philharmonic. In high school my friends and I would listen to big-hair bands such as Bon Jovi and Van Halen, or else sing along to musicals like Annie, Cats and Evita.

Oracle: Who wins the fight: “David “Ziggie Stardust” Bowie or Joey “Punk Rock” Ramone?

Dr. Lee: Bowie wins for sure. In this day and age, suave and stylish is a lot more persuasive than swagger and sweat!

Oracle: What is the best music for “humanitizing?”

Dr. Lee: Conceptual music, in the style of 4’33” by John Cage. Because it’s not about itself, it’s about hearing the sound that’s already out there.

Oracle: If you had a hit single what would it be called and what kind of music would it be?

Dr. Lee: The song would be called “The Fickle Finger of Fate,” because the name says it all. It would have to be either reggae (upbeat optimist version), or nu-soul (downbeat pessimist version).