Good features on 20th anniversary Scarface DVD

Scarface is a story about a man, his drugs and the blind determination that took him to the top and eventually led him to his grave.

On the eve of its 20th anniversary, Scarface finally comes to DVD for the first time as a special two-disc edition.

The movie alone is worth the $19.99, but the bonus material is an added incentive.

The feature DVD remasters Scarface with a 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack, revamping the movie’s original mono soundtrack by improving the clarity and overall sound quality.

In 1983, Brian De Palma and Oliver Stone created Scarface, a movie that has endured for 20 years to become a cornerstone of popular culture.

The film follows the rise of Tony Montana (Al Pacino), one of South Florida’s most powerful cocaine dealers. Montana’s incredible highs, and his need for excess and blood-soaked death is brilliantly portrayed with exceptional direction and a groundbreaking performance by Pacino, which rivals his own in The Godfather.

Pacino’s performance climaxes with one line: “Say hello to my little friend,” which is the film’s most memorable line and one of the most imitated phrases from the film.

The most compelling part of the movie is not the abundant use of the f word, it’s the character development and how Scarface has the audience rooting for the bad guys.

Michelle Pfeiffer gives a noteworthy performance.

Starring in her first major role, she even steals scenes from her veteran co-star Pacino.

Universal has given Scarface the grade ‘A’ treatment with great audio and video transfer, a second disc that includes some interesting “featurettes” and deleted scenes that were removed for good reasons.

A three-part commentary with the director, producer and the film’s stars is a long, boring look at the film, which doesn’t offer any new insight from the other 200 interviews done over the past two decades. It’s about as fun as watching paint dry.

But the DVD isn’t without its bright spots. “Scarface: TV version montage” is hilarious and intriguing. It shows an original scene from the film and then the edited for television version. Its duration is a meager 12 minutes, but it’s easily the best feature on the disc.

P. Diddy, Method Man, Snoop Dogg and a horde of other rappers all share their thoughts on why Scarface is such an influential film in the world of hip hop.

Viewers are also given a glimpse of how some of their favorite stars have taken their love for the film to the next level, even decorating their homes in homage to Tony Montana.

Scarface was a movie that captured a feeling of striving for your goals and succeeding no matter what obstacles may need to be blown or cursed away, and that is what continues to keep this film relevant.

Even if Universal would have treated Scarface as just another film and released a single disc with a standard commentary, it’d still be worth the pricetag. But the studio’s especially generous treatment makes it a sound purchase and a must for any collector.