School of Music returns in tune

The beginning of the fall semester means USF’s School of Music is warming up. This year brings many new events and artists to the USF campus but also brings back favorites such as the Monday Night Jazz Series.

To start things off with a song, the USF Chamber Singers are preparing for a season opening concert. Over the summer, the singers and director Richard Zielinski were named Grand Prize Champion Choir at the 38th International Festival of Choral Song in Miedzyzdroje, Poland.

The Choir was also awarded the Sacra award for best sacred music performance.

The performance, highlighting the award-winning USF Choir, will take place this week in the Music Recital Hall.

Early September will bring the trombone quartet “Nay Palm Bones.” They will perform as part of a faculty recital.

They will be joined by five other musicians associated with such groups as the Florida Orchestra and the Jacksonville Symphony. The program has not been released, but with that much brass, it promises to be a lively evening.

Flute and percussion enthusiasts should get ready for Capstone recording artists The McCormick Duo. Kim McCormick, on flute, and Robert McCormick, on percussion, with special guest soprano Kay Lowe will perform the George Crumb Madrigals.

The group will play Lou Harrison’s Ariadne, as well as premiere a piece for flute and marimba by a Houston composer Daniel Adams.

In late September, USF will hold its annual Festival of Voices concert, consisting of a high school festival chorus, the USF Chamber Singers and The Master Chorale of Tampa Bay; also at that time, the Bay Baroque Ensemble will hold a concert in the Music Recital Hall.

The season premiere of the Monday Night Jazz series will take place on the last Monday in September with recording artist Ingrid Jensen. She has recorded albums with organist Gary Versace as part of the group Project O. She will be joined by The Jazz Surge, who will appear at next year’s International Association of Jazz Education conference, considered to be the largest gathering of jazz artists in the world.

The show will be led by composer Chuck Owen and feature songs Owen has written especially for the project. Owen is also planning a recording session with Jensen that will be released on the next CD from The Jazz Surge.

With all the talent ready to play, tickets will sell like musical hotcakes. Fortunately, USF students get a major discount on on-campus events, which makes it easier for them to enjoy everything going on around them.