Red Dragon goes back to familiar turf

Red Dragon is a return to form after the stylistic departure that was 2001’s Hannibal. The stellar performances by Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton and Ralph Fiennes can’t stop Red Dragon from feeling like old news.

Dragon closely resembles the far superior The Silence of The Lambs, which is the only horror film to win Oscar’s Best Picture.

Red Dragon comes in not one, but three separate versions: widescreen, full screen and a director’s edition. The DVD includes a commentary with director Brett Ratner and writer Ted Tally. For Ratner (following Jonathan Demme and Ridley Scott in this trilogy) this is a stunningly well-shot film that is an impressive addition to the Hannibal series.

Of the 15 deleted scenes, a handful are stand-alones. The rest are just extended or alternate versions of scenes from the film. The deleted scenes offer some good character bits, but none merit inclusion in the movie.

Also included on the disc is a short interview with Anthony Hopkins called “Hannibal Lecter and Me,” as well as Hannibal’s fictional FBI file and life history, which is nothing more than a series of text screens that are somewhat interesting.

The most notable feature on the director’s edition is “A Director’s Journey: The Making of Red Dragon,” a documentary-style featurette that goes behind the scenes and gives viewers a 39-minute voyage into the world of the Dragon.

The DVD also contains all the theatrical trailers and features such as visual effects, screen tests, make-up application and Ratner’s untitled student film.

Pablo Saldana