USF beats Cincinnati despite Craig’s injury

Despite an injury to junior Gina Craig, the USF women’s tennis team beat Conference USA rival Cincinnati 4-2 Wednesday at the Varsity Tennis Courts.In the second set of the No. 5 singles match, Craig had to withdraw due to a strained tendon.

“This injury isn’t anything that has been a recurring problem,” Craig said. “I am very confident that I will be ready to go when we play another C-USA opponent, DePaul, on Friday.”

The Bulls didn’t seem to be affected as a team by Craig’s injury. The Bulls took two out of three doubles matches and four of six singles matches to defeat the Bearcats.

USF freshman Luisa Obando won her match against Khushchehr Italia in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.

“I feel that this win was a team effort,” said Obando. “Being a freshman, it feels good to contribute to my team and help us earn a victory. I wanted to start off on the right foot and give 100 percent of my effort.”

The clinching point came at the No. 2 singles position when redshirt sophomore Patricia Kolendo beat Cincinnati’s Lyndsey Molony 6-2, 7-6 and 8-6 in the tiebreaker.

“It was a great team effort and confidence-builder,” USF coach Gigi Fernandez said. “I’m not too worried about Gina’s foot. I know we’ll be able to get her back on Friday. It was an even better win because it was against a C-USA foe, which is big for the seeding at the C-USA tournament.”

Contact Mathew Ratner at oraclesports@yahoo.com