Students should donate organs

When Jesica Santillan received her second heart-lung transplant, the first one having been botched, much of the nation intently watched to see if she lived. Her death didn’t go unnoticed, and something good can come out of it.

Becoming an organ donor can help save up to 60 lives according to the Web site for the LifeLink foundation, which matches organ donors with patients. While it may be difficult for a student to think about his or her own death, making a decision to become an organ donor could help others to live.

Students should consider signing up to be organ donors when they renew their driver’s licenses. More importantly, if they make the decision to donate their organs, students should inform family of the decision. In the event that someone has the potential to become an organ donor, his or her family will be asked to make the final decision.

Becoming an organ donor will benefit others. As of last night, 80,448 people were waiting for organs, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing. However, only a little more than 22,000 transplants were performed in 2002.

That means this year nearly 60,000 people may go without the organ they need to live. These deaths could be prevented if people would sign up to be organ donors.

Some people may be hesitant to become organ donors because they have heard rumors about doctors letting people die just so they can get the organs. Normally, organs are shipped across the country to the person who needs the organ the most and no one is given extra money for providing organs.

If a student decides to be an organ donor, and then discuss it with their family, they can help someone to live. While the family of the deceased may be grieving, another family will be hopeful.