Letters to the Editor 1/22

Actors have the same rights as citizens

In response to Mark Laps’ Friday letter about Hollywood getting too involved in politics, I disagree with some of his views and believe he didn’t tell the whole story.

In his letter, Laps states that “the disease of extreme liberalism has been ruining our country for decades, and Hollywood isn’t helping.” He complains about celebrities protesting and jokes with the idea of Ben Affleck becoming president.

However, he fails to mention the fact that the extremely conservative Ronald Reagan, before serving his two terms as president, was an actor. Not only did Reagan appear in more than 50 films and television programs, he also served as president of the Screen Actors Guild. Laps opposes Hollywood liberals getting involved in politics and protesting, yet he doesn’t mention the conservative actor who served as president for eight years.

Laps only seems to oppose celebrities who don’t agree with his point of view. His letter seems to protest the right for people to protest. Celebrity or not, what’s wrong with American citizens defending their beliefs?

If Sheryl Crow wants to protest going to war, that is her right. Celebrity or not, if an American citizen wants to run for public office, he or she should have that right.

Since Laps seems to support going to war while opposing peoples’ rights, what exactly would such a war be defending?

Sean James is a freshman majoring in engineering.

Preacher’s visit isn’t for everybody

In regard to the letter written by Stephen Bedell in Tuesday’s edition of The Oracle, Benny Hinn’s stop at USF was beneficial to many people. I am not saying Hinn’s preaching is always the best means of interpreting the word of God, but to many people, whose bodies are crippled and diseased, it is a glimmer of hope.

While I question Hinn’s ability to actually heal a crippled person, he does instill a feeling of well-being and promise to those who believe in his preaching.

The comment about money is very funny to me because I could have sworn the church, and religion in general, has been centered around money for years. I am not saying it is right, but you do need money for an organization to survive. Hinn makes people feel better about life, so why down followers for going to hear him preach about God?

If you don’t like what he preaches or what he claims to do, then don’t go see him. It is that simple.

Kristen Patosky is a senior majoring in sociology.

Tuition hike would be bad for students

I am writing to you in response to the article in Wednesday’s edition of The Oracle regarding a possible increase in tuition.

Personally, I feel an increase in tuition would have a terrible impact on students seeking financial aid. Increasing tuition would make it harder for students to finance their college education.

I read in the article that one of the effects of an increase in tuition would be a decrease in the amount of money given to the recipients of the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship.

That portion of the article irritated me the most because the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship provides the majority of my scholarship money.

As a student who comes from a family that has another child attending a public college, I need as much aid as I can get.

Without the money provided by Bright Futures, my parents would have to pay more money in order for me to attend school here.

I love attending school here, but I wouldn’t want to stay and put my parents in a situation like that — knowing I have a brother in college.

One of the main reasons for attending this university was because of the financial aid that was granted to me.

Out of the four universities I applied and was accepted to, USF was the only one that offered a substantial amount of scholarship money to help pay for my education.

Of course, my parents also had to seek loans to help, but thanks to the scholarships, they didn’t need to borrow much money.

Though the people who were interviewed in the article stated an increase in tuition would bring great changes to our school and would be beneficial to students, I find that hard to believe.

How could such statements be true if our scholarships, which are making it possible for many of us to attend school here, are being cut?

How could this new plan be so great if people are trying to “lower the number of scholars receiving Bright Futures” as stated by Bill Edmonds, director of communication for Florida Board of Education?

The number of Bright Futures recipients is a number to be proud of. It is an honor. It is not something that should be “lowered.”

If anything, more students should be encouraged to become recipients. Students work hard in school so they can be able to receive such a scholarship that will help them pay their way through college.

The possibility of a tuition increase does nothing more than place more stress on students who need financial aid.

With the cost of attending USF at about $13,000 a year, a 12.5 percent increase would raise that amount by $1,625.

Clearly, an increase in tuition is not benefiting us. It is hurting us.

Roshonda Andrews is a freshman majoring in athletic training/sports medicine.