Change takes individual effort

In a speech Monday, President George W. Bush announced that “even though progress had been made, there’s more to do” to reach Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream. Now the question is: What does President Bush plan on doing to rectify the situation?

Already, Bush has ticked off Americans in his choice of judicial nominees because of controversies surrounding their character, specifically whether they’re prejudiced.

Also, Bush recently made headlines when he decided that the University of Michigan would have to change admissions policies that use racial preferences when admitting students.

The truth is no one, not even the president, can single-handedly expell the nation’s prejudices and inequality. Instead, every individual needs to make the resolve to change, and then make steps in his or her personal life to alleviate the problem.

Sometimes, people make offhand prejudiced comments that would be better left unsaid. While they may seem innocent, these comments can be hurtful and promote the degradation of others.

When an individual decides to join the effort of those working towards ending prejudice, they can work harder at avoiding these comments.

Another way individuals can work towards improving the problem is by associating with people from other walks of life.

When people are less ignorant about other cultures, they are less likely to be prejudiced against them.

Students should decide to make a personal effort to make the nation less prejudiced. Change begins with the individual, and students are at a prime age and mental disposition to begin making important changes that can lead to less prejudice nationwide.