Letters to the Editor 11/5

Defense of Hussein’s practices flawed

This is in response to the recent opinion written by Sarah Mitwalli who was trying to make the point that “Hussein (is) not worth the loss of innocent lives.”

First, your remark about the “questionable” description of America as the land of freedom and liberty is proven by the fact you will not be dragged from the place you sleep tonight and shot in the street in front of friends and family for what you have written in The Oracle.

However, if you had so insulted Hussein in Iraq, you would not have lived long enough to read this response.

Second, the reason people are dying in Iraq today is because the “oil for food” program has been adulterated by Iraq, and again the people suffer because of their leader, not because of any action taken by the United States.

Third, we are not going to nuke them; your very implication that President Bush has this in mind simply goes to show how little you understand the situation.

The issue at hand has nothing to do with “monopolizing” their resources, though I would think it would be a good idea to take over their oil fields, buy the oil at a reasonable price and use the money to rebuild the country, but that is another issue altogether.

Fourth, terrorism is the real issue here, and the government of Iraq is supporting these acts by paying the families of suicide bombers in Israel; this has been admitted to.

Where else are acts of terrorism being sponsored by this country, I wonder (sarcasm)? People like you who support this madman and his oppressive ways are the reason the people of Iraq suffer to this day.

Until these people are liberated from this sadistic scumbag, they will continue to suffer.

Lastly, you wrote in your letter “our tax dollars go to support Israel,” then you later said “contact your president.”

This tells me you’re probably not a citizen of our country, and it is you who is trying to spread propaganda and lies.

I can say this because my country, the United States, is in a state of war, and despite the fact I do not like the president who was put into office, I do support him and stand behind him as do most real Americans.

Being the leader of the free world comes with responsibilities, not the least of which is to protect our way of life. If that means we need to topple 50 countries and change their leadership so that we never again have to face another Sept. 11, 2001, so be it.

By the way, the actions being taken by this administration should be sending out a clear message to all who dare support those who would attack our country: No matter how slick you think you are, if you try to hurt our country, you will pay a very high price.

Scott Bryant is a MBA student.

Powell remarks detract from man’s greatness

I would like to respond to the USF Library staff member who commented on Colin Powell and Condeleeza Rice.

As an African American here at USF, I resent the implication that this reader makes of Mr. Powell. “He’s allied with a political party (Republican) that only pays attention to minorities when it is time to pander for election.”

It is his opinion that the Republican Party is not the party of minorities, but as a retired Air Force member, I beg to differ.

Before Reagan, there were military families getting food stamps to help make ends meet. As far as the military is concerned, the Democrats have been cutting the military budget, downsizing and putting people out of jobs.

Then they say we will create more jobs in the private sector for those servicemen (at $7.50 per hour). This is, however, not meant to endorse the Republican Party.

I have the greatest amount of respect for Colin Powell; he served his country, made it to the top of the military elite and, yes, earned those medals by risking his life.

I, too, earned medals, and I don’t care to impress the writer; for me, the medals represent more than some individuals’ looks of awe or admiration. Mr. Powell is his own man; he tells Bush what he feels and not what the president wants to hear.

If the president chooses to ignore his advice, then that is his prerogative. Harry Belafonte is a great actor, and I am sure, a fine man in his own right. His criticism of Powell and Rice, I find loathsome.

They are not towing the line, they are working as advisors and showing loyalty to their boss. Just because you don’t agree with the Bush policy, why must you think two important black people (Powell and Rice) should be on your side? I can only assume that the debate about Iraq is the focus of Belafonte’s criticisms.

I would ask Mr. Belafonte what he thinks should be done. Maybe we should just withdraw from the external world, live in our little shell and let the other countries blow each other to bits.

Then when no one else is left to conquer except us, we could become bold and try to bluff our way out. Machiavelli said, and I paraphrase, “A man who strives for good in all his acts is sure to come to ruin, since there are so many men who are not good.”

Peace is only achievable through strong military power, and those who forget this are doomed to be dominated.

Dwight W. Smith is a senior majoring in sociology.

Bulls have more obstacles than just penalties

As I was reading the letters to the editor Tuesday, I found Joe Nirenberg’s letter rather amusing … at first.

Let’s get serious here. I’m as big a Bulls fan as the next guy, but Arkansas and Oklahoma are a “little” better than that. Let’s not forget that they did lose and not by a field goal or a touchdown.

If you consider a win against unranked Southern Miss. the biggest win in school history, the mighty Bulls are far from the caliber of the big three (UF, UM and FSU).

There was a Bucs game the next day, after all. Osama bin Laden has murdered thousands of people in the last decade.

With minorities enlisting in the military during the ’70s and ’80s in hopes of making something of themselves, the only party that made life in the military livable was the Republicans.

Let me say, Mr. Nirenberg, you have some guts. Considering our present situation, your comments were off-color and rude, to say the least.

I would expect a little more tact out a college-educated man. Perhaps you’re the one that’s dyslexic.

Or just a little slow in common sense?

Marcus Neeman is a senior majoring in international studies.