It’s all about the streak

Behind a 7-0 run to end the match, the USF women’s volleyball team knocked off Florida State in a thrilling five-game match Tuesday night at the Corral, in front of a crowd of 450 spectators.

After the Bulls took Game 2 (30-28) and Game 3 (30-28), the Seminoles rallied in Game 4 behind Erica Bunch and Alex Sevillano, who each chipped in six kills in FSU’s 30-27 win.

With the win, the Bulls are now on a three-game winning streak after beating the Seminoles Tuesday, who just came off of an identical run, culminating with a win vs. No. 11 North Carolina Sunday.

“Game for game for game, we knew it would be a fight out battle,” USF coach Nancy Mueller said. “Nobody ran strings of points.”

This statement held true up until Game 5, when the Bulls went on a 7-0 run to close out the game.

Two kills from Michelle Collier, two kills from Bonnye Glover and two aces from Jolene Patton proved too much for the ‘Noles to handle in the last game, giving the Bulls the match.

The Bulls came out on the court knowing that they had to take this match seriously and that the Seminoles were going to give them competitive play, especially since FSU upset the Tar Heels Sunday.

“We knew that this was going to be a tough game and that it was going to be an important win for us,” Collier said.

Collier led the team in kills (23), digs (20) and aces (6), and it appeared as though she was all over the court, and was an active part in every play.

“I just like getting involved, maybe luckily every ball was coming my way,”

Even though Collier played a good match, Mueller credited the entire team for pulling out the victory.

“We have a team of 12 players. Michelle is a very good player, but she has a lot of nice team members that compliment what she can do,” said Mueller.

Contact Chris Wagenheim at oraclesports@yahoo.com