Deputy athletic director faces sexual harassment allegations

USF Deputy Athletics Director Corey Johnson could be facing sexual harassment charges. USF Athletics Director Lee Roy Selmon refused to confirm or deny the allegations Thursday, but in a story in The Tampa Tribune Thursday, Johnson said that Selmon had told him an incident report had been filed.

“Our policy is that I can’t confirm or deny anything in regards to personnel issues,” Selmon said. “I’m committed to following our policy.”

However, Johnson told The Tribune that Selmon had approached him about complaints filed by two members of USF’s athletic department staff. While Selmon said that he did talk to Johnson Thursday about the story, he refused to confirm the report.

Johnson could not be reached Thursday for comment.

Selmon did say that any investigations would be handled by the Associate Vice President of Diversity and Equal Opportunity Deborah E. Love. Love was out of the office Thursday and could not be reached for comment.

“Anything like that would be referred to the Diversity and Equal Opportunity Office,” Selmon said of the allegations. “They would then begin to manage the situation according to their guidelines. Any number of things could occur. They make the determination to fulfill the policies of the university. We’ll let the process take its course.”

Both Selmon and Senior Associate Director of Athletics Barbara Sparks-McGlinchy were at an administration conference in Chicago Thursday, so neither met with Johnson, though both spoke with him about The Tribune story.

“I don’t have a comment on the situation,” Sparks-McGlinchy said Thursday night. “I don’t know any details but merely the fact that the story was printed.”

Johnson became USF’s first Deputy Director of Athletics on Aug. 16, 2001. The position was created in the wake of Paul Griffin’s resignation as Director of Athletics following allegations of racial discrimination on the USF women’s basketball team. Johnson was Selmon’s first hire after becoming Athletic Director in May 2001.

Johnson was the Director of Athletics at Long Beach State from 1987-91 and then held the same post at Colorado State from ’91 to ’94. He was the Director of Athletics at Nova Southeastern before coming to USF.