Athlete deserved harsher penalty

NFL star Randy Moss walked out of a Minneapolis jail Wednesday morning whistling, smiling and unapologetic to the traffic officer he pushed down a street on the hood of his car. Less than an hour later, he was practicing football. Just another biting example that the law doesnít apply to pro athletes.
When Moss decided to use his Lexus as an overpriced cow-catcher, it was reported that he could be subject to felony assault charges. The next morning, he left with two misdemeanor charges that amounted to little more than a speeding ticket.
In addition, Moss, despite his history of drug use, was not charged for a marijuana cigarette found in his car.
Moss said it didnít belong to him. A likely story, right? Well, the police seemed to buy it, or were they all just Vikings fans?
Mossí excuse that the marijuana didn’t belong to him was not so much that it was illegal, but that the NFL doesnít let him use drugs.
And did the NFL or the Vikings react to Moss’ arrest? Nope. Probably because the union problems would not have been worth the effort.
The biggest problem with this situation is how it would have been different if an average person were involved. If that average person had been pulled over for speeding and marijuana possession, there would have been an arrest. If the person had hit a traffic officer, not only would there have been more than one night in jail, but a job would have been lost and a reputation ruined.
This is not just the fault of the Vikings, the Minneapolis police or the NFL. It’s society’s fault. Hero-worshiping football fans are the reason why Moss has gotten away with similar actions over and over again.
Fans need to refuse to accept this kind of behavior, and maybe the NFL will finally have players who can also be heroes off the field, instead of common street thugs.