The Week Ahead 9/19

Last Chance

DiaspOracle Orifice
Closing reception: Friday, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Centre Gallery

The closing reception for the ongoing exhibition will allow the audience to meet and discuss the works with the artist, John McGrane. The exhibition, in its narratives of duality, brings to the viewer the two sides of human spirituality.

Culturally Conscious

Part of a Larger World
Opening Event: Friday, 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
H.B. Plant Hall, University of Tampa

Part of a Larger World marks the beginning of International Celebrations, a year- long series of collaborated events held throughout the Tampa-Hillsborough County area. It is the culmination of University of Tampa’s “International Week.” The evening will be filled with multicultural events such as dance routines from the Orient to Brazil, children’s games from around the world, international storytelling and more. Admission is free.

Honored Voices

Festival of Voices
Friday, 7:30 p.m.
USF Ensemble, FAH 101
Saturday, 4:30 p.m.
Festival Concert, SEC

The USF Festival of Voices is a two-day workshop for high school choral students rehearsing a program together in a massed choir. It is for the dedicated high school choral students wishing to participate in an honors-quality Festival Chorus. The culmination of the workshop is the Festival Concert. The repertoire for the concert is comprised of music written within the last 25 years or by an American composer. It also highlights the pieces by the featured composer, Libby Larsen.

Artistic Differences

Florida MUSIC & FILM Harvest 2002
Friday – Sunday, all day
The Spirit of Suwannee Music Park

This year’s festival will showcase a number of local, regional and national bands on three stages. For the first time in the history of the Harvest, independent film submissions from around the state were accepted and will be showcased in a separate film pavilion. Gates open at 3 p.m. on Thursday, for all those wanting to set up their campsites.

Bassman’s Basement

Monday Night Jazz Series with special guest Lynn Seaton
Monday, 8 p.m.
Music Recital Hall (FAH 101)

First of the monthly series, this musical event brings together the USF Faculty Jazz Ensemble and Lynn Seaton, a bass player formerly working with musical groups such as the Count Basie Orchestra and touring with personalities such as Tony Bennett. Lynn also released jazz records such as Solo Flights and Bassman’s Basement and recently published his book Jazz Solos for Bass.

Thank You For The Music

Cowboy Mouth/Better than Ezra
Monday, 8 p.m.
Special Events Center

Organized by the Campus Activities Board, the concert brings the rock of Better Than Ezra and Cowboy Mouth. Both bands performing are of national fame, with BTE finding a number of its songs getting radio play. Admission is $5 for students, $12 for general public.

Big Fish

The White Balloon
Tuesday, 9 p.m.
Marshall Center, Room 296

Directed by Jafar Panahi and written by Abbas Kiarostami, this week’s installment for the Centre Gallery’s Foreign Film Festival won the Cannes Film Festival’s Golden Camera in 1995. It tells a story of Razieh, a young girl in Iran, who must face many obstacles while looking for a fat goldfish before the Iranian new year. The movie is in more or less real time and creates a new image of the post-Ayatollah Iran.

Mystery Moments

Scooby Doo
Movies on the Lawn
Wednesday, 9 p.m.
Crescent Hill

This week, the Campus Activities Board brings the story of the teenage detective crew and the Mystery Machine. The movie presents a live action rendering of the cartoon, with teenage idol stars such as Matthew Lillard (Shaggy), Freddie Prinze Jr. (Fred) and Sarah Michelle Gellar (Daphne). Accompanied by Rowan Atkinson of Mr. Bean fame, the movie brings humor and possibly some disappointment to the cartoon fans.

High with Art

Kite Aerial Photography
Friday – Nov. 10
Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI)

The exhibition exposes guests to photographs taken from kites and the technology of aerial photography. It demonstrates the utility and views afforded by kites.

Comic Relief

Personality Crisis

Jennifer Blaine
Tuesday, 8 p.m.
Marshall Center Ballroom

Blaine is known for her multi-personality approach to comedy. Examining human behavior through the personas of more than 30 characters, she ventures on a wild ride starting out in a New York City subway. Her one-woman show channels the collective soul of the subway system, while taking off on different tangents.

Totally Pauly

Pauly Shore
Friday and Saturday, 7:30 and 10 p.m.
Sunday, 7 p.m.
Improv Comedy Theater, Ybor City

Famous for his MTV show, movie appearances and stand-up, the comedian travels the country to perform stand-up comedy acts in smaller venues. Shore released four comedy albums and starred in a number of movies that delivered him much comical acclaim. All shows are 21 and over. Tickets are $26 per person.