Blackwell on O’Brien watch list

USF senior quarterback Marquel Blackwell has been named to the 2002 Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award watch list.

The award is given annually to the nation’s top collegiate quarterback.

Blackwell owns virtually every school record for passing and total offense, and his 6,518 career passing yards rank third among active Division I-A quarterbacks, trailing Marshall’s Byron Leftwich (7,635) and Kliff Kingsbury of Texas Tech (7,412).

Blackwell, Leftwich and Kingsbury are among 32 candidates for the award, named in honor of the late Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback who led TCU to the 1938 national championship.

The winner will be announced Dec. 12 on the ESPN College Football Awards Show in Orlando.

Brittian ineligible for hoops season

Senior forward Greg Brittian has been declared ineligible for the 2002-03 men’s basketball season. Brittian, a 6-foot-6 forward from Mt. Dora, averaged 5.8 points and 2.6 rebounds in 31 games, including 25 starts, for the Bulls. He spent the previous two seasons at Central Florida Community College. Brittian’s status with the program will undergo ongoing review, the statement from the USF Athletic Department stated.

Softball, tennis teams hold tryouts

Women’s tennis coach Gigi Fernandez will hold open tryouts today at the Varsity Courts starting at 4 p.m.

Also, softball coach Ken Eriksen will have a meeting Sept. 4 for anyone interested in walking on to the team. The meeting will be in SOC 285 at 3 p.m.

For more information, contact the women’s tennis office at 974-4023 or Coach Eriksen at 974-4111.