New Independent Record Label Launches in Tampa

In an effort to further broaden the parameters of the local music scene, Tampa-based independent recording label Groovewell Records recently issued its inaugural releases: Experimental-funk-fusion-groove group Ghetto Love Sugar’s The Uncertainty Principle and roots-reggae outfit Rocksteady@8’s Rub-Up, Push Up.

Groovewell’s principal partners say their imprint’s focus is on rock, jazz, world music, fusion, spoken word and other genres.

Jonathan Priest and Philip Booth, both of whom are very familiar with the inner workings of the local scene and the music business, founded Groovewell Records.

Priest serves as drummer for Rocksteady@8, Ghetto Love Sugar and Irritable Tribe of Poets. He is also Groovewell’s Web administrator. Booth tackles bass duties for Ghetto Love Sugar, Greenwich Blue and Irritable Tribe of Poets.

In addition to performing and tending to his newly formed record label, Booth works as a veteran arts journalist and is the former Tampa Tribune pop-music critic. Priest and Booth have also acted as concert promoters and coordinators for shows at the Orpheum in Ybor City and at Skipper’s Smokehouse in North Tampa.

Priest and Booth say their mission with Groovewell Records is to bring a variety of music to listeners. In addition to their own music, they also intend to distribute new recordings by other Florida bands.

However, they are not limiting themselves to exclusively carrying acts from their home state. In addition, Groovewell plans to release local and nationally produced CDs that have not received proper distribution.

On Friday, Groovewell Records is having a CD-release party with Ghetto Love Sugar (featuring Jonathan and Jeremy Powell) and Rocksteady@8 both performing live. The show is at The Orpheum, Ybor City. Doors open at 8 p.m. and admission is $6.