Academic honors come Bulls’ way

A trio from the USF women’s golf team were honored by the National Collegiate Golf Coaches Association as All-Scholar Team members Tuesday.

Sophomore Jill Crowe and juniors Kelly Martin and Katie Ruhe earned the awards by posting a grade point average better than 3.5.

The Bulls, who finished 24th at last week’s NCAA National Championships in Auburn, Wash., were one of three squads to place three members on the All-Scholar Team. Stanford and Purdue were the other two.

“That’s pretty good company,” USF coach Susan Holt said. “It’s pretty rare for three players on one team to earn this honor, and it speaks highly of Jill, Kelly and Katie’s commitment to academics and their golf game.”

Martin was USF’s lowest scorer with a 16-over-par 305 for the four-round tournament. Martin placed in a tie for 75th. Crowe was next best on the Bulls by tying for 108th.

On a mission

Tommy Hunter will take a leave of absence from the Bulls to participate on a Mormon mission. Hunter, a junior tight end on the football team, will travel to Santa Rosa, Calif., starting in July. Returning in 2004, Hunter will have two years of eligibility.

“We wish Tommy all the best,” USF coach Jim Leavitt said. “Although he’ll be sorely missed by everyone in our program, we understand his excitement and commitment regarding this mission. We wish him well and will look forward to his return in two years.”

Basketball signees

USF women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez announced the completion of his 2002 recruiting class Tuesday. In addition to Valerie de Velasco, who Fernandez inked in the fall signing period, the Bulls added four more recruits during the spring session. Sharon Cambridge from Miami Central and A.J. Johnson of Winter Haven will join the Bulls as freshmen in the fall while transfers Ezria Parsons of Auburn and Andrea Armstrong via Kansas State will sit out this season and join the Bulls in 2003.

The 6-foot, 2-inch Cambridge, the leading rebounder in Dade County last season, will lend support to USF’s front line as will the introduction of Jameelah Trimble, the 6-foot, 5-inch center from Florida who becomes eligible this fall.Johnson, who was Winter Haven High School’s leading scorer each of the last two seasons as the Blue Devils made back-to-back state championship games, will provide depth at small forward.

Parsons wanted to be closer to her home in Bushnell so she left Auburn after one season with the Tigers. During her freshman campaign, Parsons averaged 1.9 points per game and 2.2 rebounds. In high school, Parsons was first-team All-State at South Sumter, where she averaged more than 22 points and 14 rebounds per game.

Armstrong made a name for herself in the classroom at Kansas State. A member of the All-Big XII Academic Team as well as the Commissioner’s All Spring Honor Roll, Armstrong made limited appearances on the court for the Wildcats. In nearly 17 minutes per game in 2000-01, Armstrong averaged 4.8 points per game and 2.7 rebounds. However, her playing time was cut in half in 2001-02, and her scoring and rebounding (2.3 and 1.5, respectively) dropped significantly, as well.