Base-Bulls beat Hatters in Deland

Only a triple away from the cycle, Mike Barclay helped lead the Bulls to an 8-2 win against Stetson. The Bulls racked up 11 hits on their opponent’s pitching, toppling the juggernaut Hatters, who took a 12-game winning streak into the game. According to the Baseball Weekly/ESPN poll, Stetson was ranked No. 22 in the country hosting the Bulls Tuesday night.

“We pitched extremely well,” USF coach Eddie Cardieri said. “All around a very good game of baseball. I’d say our best of the year.”

Barclay was 4-of-5 on the night with two doubles and a single. He led off the second with a solo home run to right field, his sixth of the season, and ended the game with three RBI. Barclay has 12 doubles this year.

“What a great day at the plate,” Cardieri said. “Every time he got a good pitch to hit, he hit it hard somewhere, laid off everything he should have. He had a real good approach all night long.”Jon Uhl earned his fifth win of the season and his second in the last week after getting the win Saturday in Cincinnati.

“I knew before the game that if I got ahead of the hitters, I could have a better chance to get the ground balls and the outs that I wanted,” Uhl said.

Ivany would reach on a walk and move around to third on two wild pitches before scoring on a sacrifice fly by Chris Cuccia.

Mike Macaluso added his bat to the fray, getting three hits and scoring after reaching in the third, fifth and seventh innings.

“Macaluso had a great night, he had good at-bats,” Cardieri said. “That’s what we ask these guys to do, consistently have good at-bats and don’t give away at-bats, and that is what we did tonight.”

Scott Rachlin hit his fifth home run of the season in the sixth, before the Bulls scored two more in the seventh for the 8-2 win.The win marks the seventh straight mid-week win for the Bulls, who will move on to East Carolina for a weekend series.

“Hopefully we understand that we beat a very good team,” Cardieri said. “And we did it because we played a good game of baseball.”

Ivany named All-American

Freshman catcher Devin Ivany was named by Baseball America as a mid-season All-American. The list ranks each class by position, with Ivany beating out all Division I freshman catchers. Ivany is currently batting .323 with a team-leading seven home runs. He ranks third on the team with 33 RBI and has 143 putouts.

“It’s a big honor,” Ivany said. “It’s a good reassurance that you’re among the elite in college baseball. It was a surprise because I haven’t really been consistent the whole year. But I’m happy about it, and I’ll take it.”

Jarrett Guthrie covers baseball and can be reached at oracleguthrie@yahoo.com