Five Bulls calling it a day

The USF women’s tennis team hosts a major rival Saturday in its home finale.

The match against Florida International will be the last for five USF players: Genevieve Houle, Jackie Spicijaric, Natalie Schwartz, Ashlee Callahan and Claudia Nieto.

“I have known Natalie since we played in junior tournaments together and Ashlee since high school. I will miss being part of a team the most,” said Spicijaric.

Spicijaric will take some time after the season finale to enjoy a vacation. She plans on teaching tennis in the future.Houle will be graduating in December. She hopes to become a trial lawyer after graduating from USF.

“I will miss the team spirit,” Houle said. “I have seen these people for the last four years, everyday. I am not going to stop playing but it won’t be the same.”

Schwartz hopes to continue with tennis after leaving USF in May. She will return to her home in Ft. Lauderdale to finish her education and work toward perfecting her tennis skills.

“Here I had a routine everyday, with the same people,” Schwartz said. “When I go home it will all be self-motivated.

“I will take with me my accomplishments (within tennis at USF). I might teach tennis a bit, but I am going to try and play in open tournaments in Florida, and maybe some satellite games to try and get points toward the pros.”

The match will start at 10 a.m. at the USF Varsity Courts.

“It should be a good game,” said USF coach Sherry Bedingfield. “We’ve worked hard these last few weeks and they really seem excited.”

Amanda Collins covers women’s tennis and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com