A chance to move up

The South Florida softball team is riding a four-game losing streak into its biggest weekend of the season when it hosts UAB in a three-game series starting Saturday at 1 p.m.After the weekend USF will have seven conference games remaining and eight overall.

The Bulls (11-14-1, 5-5 in Conference USA) are currently ranked sixth in C-USA with the top six teams participating in the conference tournament at USF from May 9-11.

UAB (11-1, 7-5) is fifth in the conference, and a sweep by the Bulls will bump them ahead of the Blazers by one game.

“It is a big weekend,” USF coach Ken Eriksen said. “We can really solidify our standings in the conference.”

Last year during the regular season the two teams split four games before the Bulls knocked the Blazers out of the conference tournament.

Both teams might have revenge on their minds as UAB tries to repay the Bulls for the conference elimination, and USF’s Holly Groves faces her former team with a bad taste in her mouth from her year there. She says the school and the coaching staff wasn’t what she believed they were on her recruiting trip.

“I just want to win,” Groves said. “I don’t care what I do as long as we win.”

With the Bulls on a losing streak and the Blazers having gone 4-1 last week, including two conference victories against Charlotte, this weekend will provide a good opportunity for the Bulls to find their winning ways again.

This will also be an important weekend for USF to try to gain a place in the conference tournament while hanging on to the final spot.

Bryan Fazio