Waldon, Jackson drafted by USBL’s Sea Dragons

Bulls B.B. Waldon and Altron Jackson became the newest members of the United States Basketball League’s Florida Sea Dragons Wednesday. The USBL, a 10-team league in operation since 1985, held its 2002 draft via telephone, where the Sea Dragons selected Waldon, the fourth all-time leading scorer in USF history, in the second round with the 17th pick.

“We’re extremely happy to see both B.B. and Altron get drafted by the Sea Dragons,” USF coach Seth Greenberg said. “B.B. playing in the USBL will depend on his health (whether or not he will need knee surgery) but what will help both players is the fact that they can both play more than one position and that they are very good defensively.”

With the third pick of the sixth round, No. 53 overall, the Sea Dragons tabbed Jackson to play alongside his former college teammate. Finishing his career as Conference USA’s all-time leading scorer, Jackson proved to be a consistent performer for the Bulls during his career, scoring double digits in 100 of 122 games. Jackson, a native of Sarasota, also established himself on the defensive end, ranking third on USF’s charts with 181 steals from 1998-2002.

Sunday, Jackson wrapped up participating at the Portsmouth (Va.) Invitational, a pre-NBA draft camp for seniors only.

ESPN’s Andy Katz had this to say about Jackson’s performance at Portsmouth.

“He didn’t do enough to distinguish himself, but he’s still a scorer, a scrappy player and if he can get to Chicago would have a chance to get into the second round.”

Chicago is the final camp before the NBA Draft, open for seniors and underclassmen, but is by invitation only. The Chicago camp runs from June 5-8 and the 2002 NBA Draft is on June 26.

The Sea Dragons, who were known as the Tampa Bay Windjammers from 1996-1999, play their home games at the TECO Arena in Fort Myers. Florida finished 18-12 last season, second in the South Division. The Sea Dragons’ 30-game season starts April 20, when they host the Pennsylvania Valley Dawgs.

Contact Anthony Gagliano at oracleanthony@yahoo.com