Bulls third best in state

USF junior Kelly Martin led the women’s golf team to a third-place finish in a battle for the state at the Ryder Florida Collegiate Championships in Miami Lakes. Her consistent rounds of 77, 76 and 77 earned her a four-way tie for eighth place and helped USF knock off in-state rivals Miami and Florida Atlantic.The Bulls shot 309 and 303, as well as a final round 306, the best in the 13-team tournament. However, their consistency wasn’t enough to get by first and second place, Florida State and Florida, which shot 900 and 911, respectively.

Four UF players placed in the top 20, including second-place finisher Kristin Tamulis.

UM only had three players in the top 20, but one of them was the contest’s winner, Camilla Hilland, who shot 70-70-79.

Also helping the Bulls was 12th place finisher Fany Schaeffer, who hit 86 in Round 1 but redeemed herself in Round 2 by shooting 75. In round 3, when USF was tied with UM for third and needed a good performance, Schaeffer shot the low score of the day with 70 on the par-72 course and tied Florida’s Whitney Code.Another top finisher for the Bulls was senior Jill Crowe, whose 232 total landed her into a tie for 14th place with another UF player, Alison Curdt.

Despite not placing into the individual top 20, senior Jameica Duncombe propelled the Bulls in the first two rounds. On Day 1 she shot a team-low 74 and was tied for sixth place with UF golfer Jeanne Cho, who ended up placing third after 54 holes. Although she hit 78 the next day, she still led the team with 152 after 36 holes, tied for 12th.