Jackson is NABC All-Star

Senior Altron Jackson, the top career scorer in Conference USA, has been invited to play in the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-Star Roundball Challenge. The game, Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Georgia Tech’s Alexander Coliseum, kicks off Final Four weekend in Atlanta.

The 12-man All-Star lineup is comprised of the top college basketball seniors in the nation, and they have faced the Harlem Globetrotters for the past three years. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo will lead the squad.

“We’re very pleased that Altron is going to get the opportunity to play in such a prestigious event,” said USF coach Seth Greenberg.

“This is obviously a sign that the NABC has taken notice of the commitment that Altron has made during the past four years. It’s a tremendous honor for him and another positive step for our program here at South Florida.”

Jackson led the Bulls in the 2001-02 season with 19.3 points per game, finishing the season as the second leading career scorer in USF history. The Bulls posted a 19-13 record and lost in the first round of the NIT to Ball State.

Former Bulls greats Radenko Dobras (1988-92) and Chucky Atkins (1992-96) also played in past NABC All-Star games.

Octavien gets honored again

For the second time this spring, Dayana Octavien won the Athlete of the Week award from Conference USA. Octavien received the honor Tuesday for her record-breaking performance at the FSU Relays in Tallahassee last weekend.

Octavien threw 167 feet in the discus, smashing by nearly 15 feet the previous record set by Joyce Owens in 1996. The throw also provisionally qualified Octavien for the NCAA Championships.

The sophomore also won the weekly award Jan. 22 during the indoor season for breaking the school weight throw record by more than five feet at the Carolina Elite Invitational in Chapel Hill.

Sears Cup standings have USF 115th

USF is in 115th place in the Sears Cup standings following the release of the winter standings Thursday. The Cup is a competition among the athletic departments based on performance in the NCAA Championships.

USF stood in 77th place after the final fall standings but did not score in any of the winter sports utilized by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics in the standings.The Bulls do not have teams in rifle and skiing, and did not send anyone to the indoor track and field national championships.

• Khari Williams