Volunteer USF springs into action

Students will build houses for Habitat for Humanity on Saturday while others will paint homes for low-income senior citizens in conjunction with Paint with Pride. Some students will also work with Metropolitan Ministries and the Museum of Science and Industry.

Volunteer USF is an organization whose goal is to get students involved with community service projects. On Saturday they will meet at the Martin Luther King Plaza at 8:30 a.m., and beginning at noon students will be working with a variety of organizations.

Amy Simon, coordinator for Volunteer USF, said that it’s never too late to start volunteering.

“Spring into Community Service on Saturday will hopefully give many students their first taste of volunteering,” Simon said.

“Volunteer USF wants to give students easy access to service projects.”

Simon said the point is to make volunteering fun and easy and to encourage students to get involved. Simon said her goal is to have about 200 students volunteering for the event and estimates that at least 100 students will attend.

Every month Volunteer USF holds one large service project in addition to smaller projects. They coordinate projects for individuals, as well as groups of people, and they offer opportunities for students to mentor and tutor others. Volunteer

USF works with 220 agencies in the Tampa Bay area and documents all service hours.

Volunteering opportunities are offered over spring break as well as on weekends.

“It’s a chance to get out of Tampa for the weekend.” Simon said

Volunteer USF is still recruiting for Saturday. Students who are interested can sign up at the USF Volunteer office in Marshall Center Room 240 or via e-mail at .

• Contact Kelly Icardiat oracleicardi@yahoo.com