Host USF finishes third at Waterlefe

A couple of new leaders lifted the USF women’s golf team out of mediocrity Monday and Tuesday at the USF-hosted Waterlefe Golf Tournament in Bradenton. Senior Jill Crowe and Junior Katie Ruhe led the Bulls to a third-place finish with a team total of 934, which barely beat University of Central Florida’s 935.

Michigan State left all competition in the dust during the first two rounds by hitting a low 293, while every other school placed over 300. MSU easily won the tourney with a 902, smacking Tulane by 16 shots and USF by 32.

MSU’s Emily Bastel stole the show with her 214 finish, which was two under par. Her rounds of 69-74-71 were just enough to edge UCF’s lead golfer Federica Piovano, who landed in second place after shooting 216.

But despite their disappointment in not winning their home tournament, the USF golfers had much to celebrate. Crowe and Ruhe emerged by playing consistently through all three rounds. Crowe shot a total of 227, gaining her a 10th place finish, and she hit a 73 on the par-72 course in round two. Ruhe’s play earned her a 15th place result with a 77-75-78 tournament.

The Bulls will look for their new leaders to continue their consistency and good play. The team’s next action will take place Apr. 5-7 at the Florida Women’s Collegiate Championship in Miami Lakes, Fla.

The Bulls will then travel to Hattiesburg, Miss., Apr. 20-22 for the Conference USA Championships.

• Contact Mary Goodman at oraclesports@yahoo.com