Throwers, distance runners set the pace again

The Bulls track and field teams finished off spring break at the Hurricane Invitational this past weekend in Miami. The field consisted of teams from the University of South Carolina, Rutgers, University of Oklahoma, Syracuse and the host team, Miami. Once again, distance and field events proved to be the Bulls’ strengths.

“The same group of athletes excel every week. We are waiting for some of the younger athletes to step it up,” said Bulls coach Greg Thiel.

On the women’s side, Chandra Brewer broke the school record in the shot put, while Dayana Octavien broke the school record in the discus. Brewer finished second in the shot put with a distance of 14.85 meters, while Dayana Octavien also took a 2nd-place finish in the discus throw with a distance of 49.20 meters.

“Chandra and Dayana are national caliber athletes. They keep getting better and better,” Thiel said.

Tara Quinn, Kristy Fuller, Cori Kill, and finished first, second and third, respectively, in the women’s 1500-meters. Christin Chandler finished fourth in the 3000-meter steeplechase.

The Bulls’ 4×400-meter relay team of Bente General, Karoline Hagen, Alexis McGaffagan, and Amber Delpino finished third, and Carmen Crespo finished second in the high jump, clearing 1.70 meters.

Andrew Smith won the men’s 1500-meter race with a time of 3 minutes, 53.97 seconds. Adam Chumbley placed sixth with a time of 4:01:30 in the same event. Stephen Ketterl and Jimmy Baxter finished tied for third in the high jump, successfully clearing 2.08 meters. Andre Bondurant finished fourth in the javelin throw with a distance of 60.71 meters.

The Bulls will next compete in the FSU Invitational in Tallahassee later this week.

• James Tai covers outdoor track and field and can be reached at oraclesports@yahoo.com