Bulls continue winning ways

Winning has become a habit for the USF men’s tennis team and coach Don Barr. Spring break was no different, as the Bulls (10-2) stretched their winning streak to five matches, and Barr became the winningest coach in the 38-year history of the program.

Barr, in his 10th season at the helm, achieved the milestone March 9 against Pacific at the USF Varsity Courts. The 5-0 victory was Barr’s 146th, moving him past Bill Perrin (coach from 1981-89).

The Bulls returned a day later to defeat Texas-San Antonio 7-0. USF swept all three doubles matches and took all six singles matches in straight sets, including a 6-0, 6-0 victory by Nadim Naser at No. 5.

But the No. 37 Bulls were not done there. They earned their best win of the season Wednesday at Auburn, defeating the No. 13 Tigers 4-1. After the teams of Paco Antelo/Uli Kiendl and Jorge Escallon/Nadim Naser lost at No. 1 and 3 doubles, respectively, the Bulls reeled off four singles victories to clinch the match.

Kiendl and Naser recovered from their doubles losses to win in straight sets at No. 4 and 6, respectively, with Kiendl trouncing Mark van Elden 6-1, 6-1, and Naser cruising past Andre Boz 6-1, 6-3.

With a 2-1 lead, Dan McCain and Escallon won in three sets to clinch the match. McCain outlasted Andrew Colombo 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 at No. 3, and Escallon defeated Estevam Strecker 7-5, 0-6, 6-1 at No. 5. Antelo and Martin Wetzel did not finish their singles matches since the result was already decided.

In their last five victories, the Bulls have outscored their opponents by a combined score of 29-2.

Schedule changes

The Bulls have added three home matches to their schedule. Tuesday at 2 p.m., the Bulls will play Hartford, and they return Wednesday to face Murray State at 2 p.m. USF will also take on in-state rival UCF April 1 at 2 p.m.

• Contact Khari Williams at oraclekhari@yahoo.com