Men’s tennis team battles Brown Bears

Overconfidence will not be a problem as the No. 29 USF men’s tennis team heads into action today against Brown at 2 p.m. on the USF tennis courts.

Despite playing an unranked Brown team, as well as having the Conference USA Invite this weekend at TCU, the Bulls are not taking this match lightly, as Brown recently hung tough with Florida, the only team to defeat the Bulls.

“They lost 6-1 to Florida, and three of the matches in singles play went to a third set,” USF coach Don Barr said.

The Bulls fell one spot, from No. 28 to No. 29, in the recent ITA poll. The good news is USF is now the highest ranked team in Florida, despite losing to the Gators (up from No. 37 to No. 31) two weeks ago 4-3.

But the Bulls are not ready to celebrate anything yet.

“If you rely on the past too much, you are going to get in trouble,” Barr said. “Rankings aren’t going to win a match for you.”

The Bulls also have to beware of rustiness, as their match scheduled on Saturday against UCF in Orlando was rained out.

No reschedule date has been set as of yet, but Barr hopes to receive word by Tuesday from the UCF representatives.

“The intensity is the key, as it always is,” Barr said. “We’re going to get everyone’s A-game being ranked where we are, so we have to come out with 100 percent effort.”

• Chris Lemke