Former USF striker makes national team

Former USF striker Kristine Edner is a member of Norway’s national team taking part in the Four Nations Tournament later this month in Guangzhou, China. Edner played for the Bulls from 1996-98, earning numerous records and accolades, but this is her first stint at the national level.

“It’s a lot higher speed, and the intensity is a lot higher (at the national level compared to college),” Edner said via telephone from Oslo, Norway. “Everyone is a lot better, so you’ve got to be on top all the time.”

Edner was frequently on top of her game during her three years with the Bulls. She led the team in scoring and garnered first team All-Conference USA honors each year and set school single-season records with 16 goals and 43 points in 1998. Edner’s 37 goals, 24 assists and 98 points all rank second on USF’s career lists.

After graduating in spring 2000, Edner worked in Tampa and played for the Tampa Bay Extreme for one summer. She returned to Oslo and played for club team Roa in the 2001 season. Also at Roa is former USF standout Siri Nordby, while current Bulls forwards Rachel Thjomoe and Christine Koester also hail from the club.

The Norwegian team departs Thursday for China. Edner and Norway face the USA Jan. 23, the host, China, Jan. 25 and Germany Jan. 27.

“Those four countries in the tournament are considered the four best nations in the world for women’s soccer …,” Edner said.

• Khari Williams